Saturday, July 20, 2013

SOTA Activation of Horseshoe Mountain (W0/SR-064) 20 July 2013

Due to the distance Lynn (KC0YQF) and I left the house at zero dark thirty to arrive at the trailhead at around 0800. I drove as far as I cared in the Jeep and we parked at 13,000 feet at around 0900.

We tried to activate this summit last Aug but due to my poor health I got altitude sickness about 250 feet from the summit and had to abort.

This time we had an advantage and knew what to expect. After we parked we still had 800 vertical feet in a little less than a mile to summit. It took us around an hour and we were two hours ahead of my posted time for activation.


As we summited I looked at my handheld and realized it was off. I turned it on and I got a call from K0NR (Bob) at his cabin not too far away. Bob was kind enough to "spot" me on SOTA Watch and we started getting setup for HF.

We setup at the old shack that is falling apart but it provided a wind break. It is South of the summit and a little below but well within the activation zone.

Lynn always leads the activation on 20 meters SSB and here are her contacts:
K0NR (only 2 meter QSO)
W7RV
W0MNA
W0ERI
ND0C
WA7JTM
N7AMA
K7JFD
N1EU
N4EX
N4LA
NS7P
N4EMG
VA6FUN
WA2USA
AB7YL
KJ4ZFK

After Lynn exhausted all callers I plugged in the paddles and started with a Summit to Summit QSO with W0CCA on Monarch Ridge South which is a summit that Lynn and I activated the weekend before. I then moved up in freq and started working the chasers.

Here is my complete log:
K0NR (only 2 meter QSO)
W0CCA (Summit to Summit)
NA6MG
KH2TJ
N0EVS
WA7JTM
ND0C
N4EMG
K4PIC
W6UB
K7JFD
W7TAO
W8XN
KG3W
KU6J
N4EX
N6JZT
N7WM
AA4Q

30 Meters:
KU6J
WB5USB
W7CNL
N0EVH


I liked Horseshoe summit. The weather started to change so we secured and headed down to the Jeep. We saw another couple just getting ready to start the final ascent but the clouds were moving in and I was glad to be leaving. I hope they had time to enjoy the views before they had to leave.


This was my 52nd summit. Not all of my summits were for activator points. I often hike up Mount Herman to test equipment and antennas but I have made 52 ascents since 5 July of 2012 when we activated our first summit.

Thanks to all the chasers.

72
Frank
K0JQZ

No comments:

Post a Comment