Friday, July 26, 2013

SOTA Activation of South Peak and 9943 (W0/SR-111 and W0/SP-109) 26 July 2013

I was looking for an easy 6 or 8 pointer that we could do today. What I found was South Peak W0/SR-111 at 8 points with only a 800 foot vertical climb that was not too steep at all. It took a little less than an hour to summit.

It is a barren summit but the rock cairn provided a great support for the fishing pole and the EFHW.
K0JQZ unwinding the EFHW on South Peak
After a few minutes we were ready to go. I was surprised that I was able to get an SMS to Steve, wG0AT, sp we pre-arranged a QSO on 40 meters and he was a solid 559. This was the first activation of this summit and Steve was the first in the log. I went through and worked a few more stations on 40: In addition to wG0AT I worked:
W7RV
K0LAF
KA0NZZ
N0EVH
W7FW

Then it was on to 30 meters to work:
NS7P
N7AMA
K7NEW (good to hear you on again Mark)

And finally 20 meters:
AE4FZ
W7CNL
NA6MG (Summit to Summit)
K6TUY (Summit to Summit)
N4EX
W9FHA
ND0C
K7FJD
WA2USA
W7USA
KG7E
N7AMA
KG3W
VA6FUN

After working all the stations I could hear I turned it over to Lynn for the 20 meter SSB action.
Lynn's log is as follows:
AE4FZ
W0MNA
N8LBF
W7CNL
N4EX
W4LKC
K7JFD
VA6FUN
W7RV
NS7P

You may have heard Lynn saying Chalk Mountain which is what I told her but it was South Peak (W0/SR-111). After researching many summits I got a little confused. We were near 13,000 feet so that is allowed.


Lynn after working the pileup on South Peak

The view from our radio shack for today

After getting done we noticed that the clouds were forming but decided to try 9943 and decided that if there was no thunder we would give it a go. Bob, K0NR, did a great writeup on how to climb 9943 so I felt confident in an easy 4 pointer. I wound up being wrong on the easy part.

We got to the TH just as Bob had described it and we started off. It was getting hot and there were clouds but nothing that I was worried about. We debated on the correct route and I seconded guessed myself and ended up taking a more direct approach (Rooster would be proud) rather than a leisurely incline we had a steep ascent.  Between the heat and the steep grade we were having a lot of trouble. It is about this time I noticed it clouding up a bit. 

I was within a few feet of the summit and noticed a ledge with cover about 40 feet below the summit and decided to go down and setup there just in case I needed to make a shelter. I did not think we could safely get down quickly if an electrical storm started so that is where we setup. It was not the idea position for the antenna, it was a little difficult with the shade giving tree being a bit too low, but we got setup. 
K0JQZ setting up on 9943
Lynn, exhausted from the near vertical ascent, dropped her backpack and it went tumbling. I wanted to leave it as I could see a better way off the mountain in the opposite direction but Lynn had her cell phone in there so she went after it. It rolled a pretty good distance but after retrieving it Lynn did the ascent one more time.

By this time I was setup and could hear the lightening crashes on the KX3. I knew we did not have much time as I could see it was coming in from the North.

Sorry that I only worked 20 meters but thanks to all the chasers. My contacts were as follows:
N7AMA
N6KZ
WA7TJM
K6EL
W7USA
W7CNL
WA2USA
K7JFD
NS7P
W7RV
N7CQR

I was beat and so was Lynn but she tried SSB anyway and got Phil, NS7P right off the bat then nothing. Nothing for 10 minutes which is a long time when you know you have to get down off the mountain and a storm is coming your way. Finally a few stations were able to hear her and here is the results of Lynn's efforts:
NS7P
KD9KC
N6JZT
K6EL

Thanks Phil for staying of freq a bit.

After Lynn worked all the stations we headed down, made it back to the jeep and headed for home. As always the easy one turned out to be the hard one. We both earned our ice cream tonight.

Thanks for all the chasers, it is always neat to hear new callsigns but thanks to all that listen for us day after day. It was a hard day but a lot of fun. 

Lynn and I will do one more summit on Sunday for the Bumble Bee contest then the next one will be while we are on our honeymoon in Yellowstone and Teton National Parks.

72
Frank
K0JQZ

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Job, Frank & Lynn! You guys rock! ...Rooster & Peanut

    ReplyDelete