Sunday, August 25, 2013

SOTA Activation of 9410 (W0/FR-168) 25 Aug 2013

This was a spur of the moment decision to go activate. There were no points in it for me but Lynn had a possible 4 points.

We headed out and it was not until I was out of 3G range that I remember that I did not spot our activation. I was hoping I could SMS our activity on the summit which I was able to do.

9410 is an easy hike but you need to drive down Old Stage Road which is in back of the Broadmore in order to get to the TH. The road was in bad shape due to all the rain and flooding we have been having but the jeep did not care. We got the TH and set off for the summit.

It is a little steep at first then you hit a ridge and kind of follow a horse trail almost all the way until the last 300 vertical feet which is also steep. The summit is uneventful but nice and shaded with some idea antenna support trees.

Once I got up there I was excited about testing my new linked dipole for 40, 30, 20 and 15 meters. However, after I hoisted the main support and tied off the ends I had forgot to bring any coax. Well that just was not going to work. I thought I brought my EFHW but it was not in its usual spot. I got something to eat and drink and thought about what to do. Lynn was willing to activate on 2 meters and we could had done that but I wanted to be on HF. (remember, no points for me but I was still pissed off as it was a great day)

After thinking and looking in my pack I remembered that I put the EFHW in a different compartment as a "just in case" or "backup antenna."

It went up in the trees pretty easy.




End Fed Antenna
The summit was covered in Ladybugs. They were everywhere and getting into everything.

Ladybugs
Ladybug trying to activate the PTT on the VHF
Ladybugs helping to SMS spot on the iPhone
Ladybug inspecting the KX3

After I got Lynn spotted she got a few contacts but the band seemed to be dead. At least I did not hear the regular stuff on HF that I usually do.

CQ SOTA
Here is Lynn's log:
20 Meter SSB
AC7QN
N4EX
NS7P
N1EU
KF7PXT
KC3RT

While Lynn was operating I snapped a few pictures.



After Lynn was done I tried 20, 30, 15 and 12 meters but only made contacts on 20 and 30.

Here is my log:
20 Meters CW
K6EL
N4EX
VE2JCW
K5WI
K6TUY
KU6J
N7CW
N4EMG
W7TAO
K7RNO
N3GJ
KD5KC 
30 Meter CW
N5XL
W7RV
NS7P
KD5KC
WA6RIC
K7JFD
KC9TNH

Lynn listening to CW
The clouds started moving in but there was no hurry. It was a great day out in the woods. We had a nice hike regardless of the SOTA activation.

Hiking down
Pretty big washouts
The SOTA Jeep waiting for us
On the way down I tried a little video wrap up. This is really my first time filming like this and it is obvious that I do not have the talent that a lot of the guys do. Here it is.

Thank you chasers.

73 Frank
K0JQZ

No comments:

Post a Comment