Sunday, September 29, 2013

SOTA Activation of Signal Butte (W0/FR-165)

It may seem silly to activate a summit that I have already activated this years. In other words I get zero points for doing this, so why do it?

I will admit that I like to get points as much as anyone else and will try to maximize points earned with minimal effort but sometimes you just need to get out.

I like this summit for a few reasons. Great fews since the Hayman Fire wiped out all the trees on this one. A few good spots that let you get out of the wind and not much traffic.

It is an ugly summit but I like it

 The hike to the top was met with two bow hunters that told me they did not have much luck and tomorrow was the last day of the season. I am not sure what season it is but they seemed disappointed.

Someone has been busy since my last visit

Once on top I setup the linked dipole and the ATS4b and started on 40 meters. Forty meters, like just about all the other bands sounded to be open. 


The ATS4b and the SOTA wG0AT Paddles

My log for 40 meters (CW Only)

N7AMA
W7RV
K1JD
NS7P
ND0C
W0MNA
W0ERI
K5FX
N5JKY

30 Meter (CW Only)

WA2USA
N7AMA
KG3W
K6EL
VA6FUN

I noticed some of the other activators where coming on freq (limited 3G access up here). So I made  some quick measurements of the linked dipole, I think I can add 15 meters without much fuss, before I took it down. The thing I like about this antenna besides being easy to deploy (it is all in how you wrap the wire) and it is very light weight. The only thing that makes it heavy or I should say heavier is the RG-174 coax. However, it is easly supported by the fishing pole and it is easy to change bands. It, like all antennas has good and bad points. The bad is you have to disconnect links to change bands but that is ok as I made it for the ATS4b and I can use all bands on the radio save 80 meters WITHOUT a tuner using this setup.

I then setup the 58 foot long wire. This antenna is enclosed in a coleman clothes line winder and works well on all bands using the tuner in the KX3. This one, while not as efficient, does allow me to change bands quickly and chase the activators which is what I wanted to do.

The Top Of The Line of field radios, the Elecraft KX3
My Jeep is barley visible (looking down from summit with zoom)

20, 15 and 12 Meters (All CW save one)

NA6MG   S2S
KI4SVM   S2S (My only SSB QSO)
K6TUY
KB2XX
AD5A
N4EX
WA4HMX
W9UX
K4PIC
N7KRN
KF7PXT
VE2JCW
WK0X/M
WG8Y
K6EL
VE1WT
VE2DDZ   S2S
VE2JCW (12 Meters)
DJ5AV  (12 Meters)
IK6BAK  (12 Meters)
W5ODS   S2S
DJ5AV
KU6J   S2S
KB1NFC
KG3W
WH6LE


Nice shack out of the wind
I had forgot to charge my battery (Buddipole A123) and cannot remember the last time I charged it but when the voltage started to drop it was time to leave. I may have run it down a bit too far but that is ok. Any other radio would of given me much less time than the KX3. I could have used the battery from the ATS4b for a while but decided to head home.

I have not figured out how to add audio from my recorder to my youtube videos yet but most of the stations were coming in very loud save a few other activators (KU6J and KI4SVM were very weak and almost at ESP levels but 2 way contact was made). Europe was coming in VERY loud. I am going to play around with that audio file again today.

As always if anyone has any comments or suggestions (on anything from the video to my operating skills, or lack thereof) drop me a note here or email via my QRZ listed email address.



THANK YOU CHASERS

40 QSOs times 4 points a piece equal 160 chaser points handed out.... Good enough for me.

73,
Frank
K0JQZ

No comments:

Post a Comment