Friday, October 18, 2013

Signal Butte (W0/FR-165) AGAIN 17 Oct 2013

 It may had been too early to try a summit after returning from sea level in NC but I wanted to get out and Signal Butte is one of my favorites when I do not need other people around. It is an easy to get to TH and there are several campers/hunters/ATVers out in this area of the Pike National Forest but no one near Signal Butte. The 20 minute hike took me about 40 minutes but I took a lot of breaks so I would not sweat as it was 42 degrees at the TH and I would guess around the high 30s at the actual summit.
Signal Butte from the TH
I decided to keep things simple and took the Steve Weber designed Mountain Topping Radio or MTR and an EFHW. The MTR is only 2 bands (20 and 30 meters) and the EFHW is for 20 meters only. It has a matching network to control the high impedance and judging from the signal reports I was getting it worked very well. I can separate the wire from the network and plug in an Elecraft T1 tuner so I could use the same wire for 30 meters. However, I could not get the tuner to work (turned out to be operator error) and I forgot a BNC adapter to plug into it but think I could had made that work if I took the time to actually learn how to use the tuner before I went out...

Notebook/pen, case for paddles, MTR, Pico Mini Paddles, Earphones and battery
Hard to see but the United States Air Force symbol is on the headphones. I think they match the MTR pretty good!!!! 

You can barley see the antenna wire lower right
The matching network supported by the walking stick
Looking down at my operating position
The view from my shack
Pikes Peak
I had a great time and made around 40 QSOs including Mexico and one other Summit to Summit. Thanks N7CW for finding me for the S2S QSO. Thanks to all the chasers out there. The pileup was very intense and fun. I was able to capture the one and only S2S I had on audio before the batteries went south. I would apologize for the poor quality but it sounds very much like it did from the little MTR with a cheap external USB speaker. 

(the video is very hasty so nothing fancy, it took me way too long to figure out how to add scrolling text)





My 20 Meter CW Log:

K4SV
K6EL
N7CW  Summit to Summit
NS7P
AJ5C
N7AMA
WA6RIC
NA6MG
WA2USA
K5WI
W7BBQ
KH2TJ
N4MJ
WA8REI
KK1W
WH6LE
KF7PXT
NK6A
W7RV
K7JFD
W0ERI
W0MNA
W6AH
W4AMW
W7CNL
N5XL 
KG3W
KF5J
W9UX
N7WM
NE4TN
N8UKD
W4DOW
XE2XX
K4QS
WN9U
KK7EL
K4EAY
Good to hear a few new calls out there actively chasing.

Trail just below the summit

Hayman Burn still very evident, eleven years later

Looking West

Leaves about all gone


SOTA Jeep

No comments:

Post a Comment