Tuesday, December 31, 2013

SOTA Activation of Little Scraggy Peak W0/FR-059 31 Dec 2013

The last activation of the year is over. It has been a while that Lynn and I activated a summit and actually got points for it. If it was not for the points I do not think we would have done this one.

It was hard but that is an understatement. I am pretty sure I cut over to the North too quick (despite instructions saying not to do that) and ended up doing a direct approach on the South East face of this mountain. I did not realize my mistake until we were already committed. It was hard and vertical but we picked our route carefully and soon enough we started seeing rock markers showing us the way to the summit. We activated below the summit, well within the activation zone, to take advantage of the trees.

Thanks to George KX0R for the Trip Report on K0MOS's website. I would not have attempted it without your instructions. Also thanks to Randy, ND0C, for spotting Lynn on SSB.

I made some errors and not just on the route. I re-charged my camera batteries but leaving them in the shack does not help. I took a whopping two pictures. And here they are:

Lynn taking a breather
Great views
My backup camera and SOTA spotting tool (i.e. iPhone) was back in the SOTA Jeep…. I figured I could start on CW get spotted via RBN and then have Lynn activate SSB and figured people would look for her. They did and Randy found her. Lynn had a great pileup with one S2S. She did great. Here is her log all on 20 meters:


ND0C
AE4FZ
W0MNA
W0ERI
KH2TJ
W4DOW
KD5KC
KF4MH
K5JTH
N4MJ
AA1VX
N0PCL  Summit to Summit
K0CID
N4EX
WA2USA
VE2JCW
KD8JXP
NS7P
NE4TN
K7JE
K5WI

I was having a hard time tuning 20 meters and found out later than I still had about 10 feet of antenna wire that I did not deploy. No matter the KX3 did tune to all bands 40 meters and up but I only used a few for todays activation. The big money band today was 30 meters which is one of my favorites.

Here is my log:

30 Meters
W0MNA
KD5KC
W0ERI
K0LAF
K0YO
NS7P
W7RV
N6KZ
WA2USA
VE7KBN/W7
KU6J
W9FHA
K6TUY
NK0E
WB5USB
K7JFD
WA6RIC
W5WIL
K7YZO
NE4TN
K5WI
ND0C
AE9F
NG0E
VA6FUN
AA4AI
KF5J 

12 Meters
AE4FZ
K7NEW
WG8Y
KX7L
VE2JFM
KB2XX
N7UN

40 Meters
KI0G

20 Meters
K6LEN
K4YA
KF4MH
N4MJ
W6JP
K6EL
NK6A
KB9ILT

I got all packed up to head down with my pack on and everything secure when Lynn noticed the antenna still hanging in the trees. Well, it took another 5 minutes but we were heading home.

We made it up, we made it down and no one got hurt so this was a very successful activation. Thanks to all the chasers out there. I do enjoy the pileups more than the points.

BONUS: My friend John, W9FHA, made a recording of me from his QTH in IN. Take a listen:


video



72 
K0JQZ and KC0YQF
HNY

2 comments:

  1. Frank,

    All's well that ends well. From the QSO count, a good activation. I just missed you, you must have QRT'ed just as I turned the radio on. Happy New Year, Mike AD5A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you and your family as well Mike.

    ReplyDelete