Friday, January 24, 2014

SOTA Activation of Blue Mountain W0/SP-123 with KC0YQF and K0JQZ 19 Jan 2014

Lynn and I decided to do Blue Mountain as it is an "easy" one. Well it would had been if I was not leading the way. I remembered the last time we summited this one was with Steve, wG0AT, and we walked up a road a ways then headed to a saddle then South towards the Summit. Well, I could not find the road and am pretty sure I did not park in the same area as the snow was deep. I never got stuck but the Jeep was sliding pretty good.

We took the Frank approach which is usually straight on but I did zig zag a bit and tried to angle our approach to the South. We finally summited but the last 400 feet were brutal. I am sure Lynn was not happy with me.

I found a great spot to setup and a suitable tree to throw an antenna into. I decided to operate first since Lynn was still feeling the pain from the ascent. I found W5ODS on another summit on 20 meters and after I worked him I moved down to 30 meters as to not crowd his activation. Then Elliot found me, K6EL who was also on a summit so that was two Summit to Summit QSOs!!!! I had a real good run on 30 meters. Probably the best I have had on that band to date. 12 meters also yielded some good results.

My log:


30 Meters CW:
AJ5C
KB7HH
W7RV
W0MNA
NS7P
W0ERI
K6TUY
N4MJ
AA5CK
N7WM
KG3W
KA7CVJ
KM5EO
AC4G
KI8R
WK0X
VA6FUN
W7CNL
K6EL  Summit to Summit
NE4TN

12 Meters:
W2LJ
N1EU
AE4FZ
N7UN
N4OA
KK1W

20 Meters CW
W5ODS Summit to Summit
W7CNL
W7TAO
N4EX
EA2LU
W6UB
NA6MG
NK6A
EA2IF
W4IHI
VE7CV
KG3W
AE9F 

After I was done with my run on 30 meters Lynn ran 20 meters SSB. The video is the whole SSB activation and is not edited. The pictures are from this activation.



Thanks Chasers:

20 Meter SSB:
AE4FZ
W0MNA
W0ERI
N1EU
N4EX
ND0C
W4DOW
N7UN
N3GJ
W7CNL
WX4ET
NE4TN
WA2USA
KC3RT
W7TAO
KW6JIM
KH2TJ
N4MJ
VE2JCW
KA5PVB
K7NEW
K6TUY 

It was a near perfect day on the summit. At 1pm it felt much later than it actually was. I guess we were both pretty beat. It was a great activation!

72
Frank
K0JQZ


No comments:

Post a Comment