Wednesday, January 1, 2014

SOTA Activation of Raspberry Mountain W0/FR-142 or "Have a Cold One"

I took no pictures during our activation but that was not my intent. Our time was used trying not to freeze.

It was a nice hike up and we ran into only one couple coming down (the only other car at the TH) so we had the Mountain to ourselves (Raspberry is a very busy mountain all year round). The reason of course was it was cold, 25 degrees at the TH. Of course once you get moving all was good and if it was not for the wind I think we would have enjoyed a longer visit but that did not happen.

It was a pleasant hike up the Mountain.


KC0YQF

K0JQZ
I was warm enough that I was in a light jacket and no gloves on the way up. It was not until the last part of the hike that the wind really started blowing. I was confident we could get out of the wind and we did but it changes directions and it got us. It reminded me of the last time Steve and I activated this summit. All was good until the final ascent then you get cold fast.

I cannot get cellphone service (Sprint) on this one until right at the top so I was surprised when I saw that I was getting 3G and that the SOTA spot web site was up and running. After getting the antenna setup and finding a freq, I spotted Lynn and she led the activation on 20 Meter SSB.

Here is her log:


AB7YL
K0LAF
N4EX
W7CNL
AD5A
VE2JCW
WA2USA
W0MNA
W0ERI
ND0C
NS7P
N4MJ
W4JKC
AE4FZ 

She made all those QSOs in 6 minutes. No one else was calling her so she turned it over to me but I was already hurting so I was hoping the propagation was not too good LOL. No such luck. Everyone was booming into Colorado it seemed like. 

Here is my log, all 20 Meters CW:

K9ZMD
N4EX
N0EVH
N7CW
W6UB
W7CNL
W5WIL
K4YA
W0MNA
W0ERI
W4DOW
W7RV
WA2USA
N7UN
N1EU
KH2TJ Summit to Summit
KG3W
K6DGW
W4AMW
VA6FUN
KD5KC
KB9ILT
WA6RIC
W2LJ
W6AH Summit to Summit
N3GJ
K6TUY
VE1WT
K0LAF
K7JFD
NA6MG
NE4TN
KF7PXT
W6JP
AA4AI
WG0AT
NK6A
WA4AN
AE9F 

If there are corrects let me know. I had some trouble reading my log, as well as writing it. Lynn had to take the antenna down and I hastily packed my pack. It was time to go. I apologize for my poor skills sending and receiving today.

Pikes Peak
Playing around with the new camera timer


You can almost see the Jeep

There she is.
It took us a while to get warmed up again on the way down. I would not have gone up this summit, or any summit, in our area today without the bonus points. I was a satisfying activation but a cold one as well.

A short youtube video.

Chasers, thanks for being out there. I was thinking on the way down that the first time I activated this summit I only made about 5 QSOs. I thought that would have been nice today but then I remembered that those 5 QSOs took about the same amount of time that the 30 or so I made today. SOTA really has grown in the short time I have been involved with it. Thanks for chasing us today.

72
Frank
K0JQZ

No comments:

Post a Comment