Sunday, January 26, 2014

SOTA Activation of Signal Butte W0/FR-165 26 Jan 2014

This will be a short post but I wanted to say thanks to all the chasers today.

When Lynn and I left the house it was around 35 degrees F and two hours later we made it to the TH and it was 37 degrees F. We stopped for Breakfast and took our time today hoping for more of a temp ride than 2 degrees LOL. I thought I would post an alert while at Denny's but ended up posting a spot (not the first time I did that). I hope I did not cause any confusion and I deleted it as soon as I realized my mistake. Since we were getting such a late start I figured we would not summit until after 1200 local and I was wrong on that as well. We both did very well on the hike. Signal Butte is not long but it is steep in some places.

While the temp was not that cold we felt the wind blowing pretty good making us done our jackets. The good thing is Signal Butte is one of those summits that you can get out of the wind and operate no matter the direction. We were able setup just below the actual summit on the East side and it was very pleasant.

Lynn took the mic after I spotted her and got things rolling on 20 meters SSB. Thanks to the following stations:

K7NEW
KF4MH
N4EX
NS7P
A7DK
W7RV
AJ5C
W0MNA
W0ERI
K9ZMD
N1EU
W5ODS
N7UN
KG7HFI
K7TQ
WA6RIC
KG3W
WA2USA
W5RST
N5XL
W7SY
WN6E

Lynn had a pretty good pileup going and handled it like a seasoned operator. 

Looking North

Lynn on her way up

Out of the wind
KC0YQF working the pileup
I think she has logging down pat
After Lynn got done I started calling CQ on 12 meter CW waiting for the RBN to pick me up which it never did, on any band! We have 3G on this summit which is a recent capability at this location so I decided to check SOTA Spots and it looked like RBN had taken a day off. No matter I spotted myself on 12 meters and had some fun.

12 Meters CW:
K7NEW
WH6LE
N4EX
W4MPS
VA6FUN
N7UN
KG3W
KC3RT 

40 Meter CW:
W7RV
W5ODS 

30 Meter CW:
K6EL
WA6RIC
VE7KBN/W7
WB5USB
K0YO 
K6SSS 
W0MNA
W0ERI
N5XL
K6TUY 

20 Meter CW:
W4AMW
VE2JCW
NE4TN
K6TUY
I do not know what was going on with 30 meters but a TX station kept calling over me. The only thing I could figure is a DX station may had been working split and he was trying to work him. Pretty poor practice but I have been guilty of not remembering I had my split on at least one time in my ham career.

I hope I worked all that was on 30 meters despite the QRM.

K0JQZ working through the pileup on CW with goat paddles
Great Day!!!
A C-130 flew almost level with us but I was working the CW pileup and did not see the approach. He or She came around again but not near us. It is always a special time to have the sound of a C-130 buzz by.
C-130

C-130 again
Thanks chasers for a fun time on the summit today.

Now for the audience participation. I know my little blog does not do as well as some of the others out there but I need help choosing a picture for Lynn's QSL card. Here are the choices number 1 through 3.

Choice 1
Choice 2
Choice 3
Just send me an email with your choice to f_skinner at yahoo dot com. And if any of you photo gurus want to change or manipulate the photo please send that as well. I will entertain any and all ideas.

It is about time Lynn got her own QSL card with her married name on it. I made a few with another picture a while ago and it needs to be updated.

I look forward to your emails.

72
Frank
K0JQZ

3 comments: