Sunday, March 30, 2014

SOTA Activation of Eagle Rock W0C/SP-113

We had intended to knock out Observatory Rock first and then head back to Eagle Rock but the snow was getting deep and I could see evidence of some cars or trucks that had gotten stuck so rather than chance it we just did Eagle Rock.

Normally you just need a high clearance vehicle for this area but today 4WD was required.

I wish there was cell coverage in this area but it was not to be. I could just imagine the mess with my spot coming up on RBN as W0C/SP-102 but figured we would just deal with it. I hope everyone was able to log us on the correct summit.

Our usual route up this summit is pretty straight forward but in an effort of trying to dodge the snow banks, that were deep in some areas, I got us a little far North. However, we were able to pickup the well marked trail near the saddle. The saddle is in the activation zone so we settled in behind a big rock because the wind was very brutal. I wish I had recorded the EF swinging in the wind.

Eagle Rock looking North at the South West side of the Mountain
 If you follow the road in the picture all the way up you will end up at the base of a 25 foot rock that you can scramble up. There is also a good place right there to activate. However, If you just look around to the West of that area you will see the rock cairns or ducks that lead you around the side of that rock into another saddle on the North side. I really like that side better as there is more room to move around and if there was not wind it would have been a perfect day. It was not too bad today with the temps in the low 40s out of the wind.

I was disappointed in not getting to Observatory Rock because it is one of my favorites. You ca see it from Eagle Rock as it is only about a mile as the crow flies but with all the private property you need to navigate around it takes about 20 minutes to get over there. We will be back as we like to camp at the base of that one.

Observatory Rock.W0C/SP-102

Thanks to all the chasers. We had a good run today.

KC0YQF Log:

20 Meter SSB
N5XL
W0MNA
W0ERI
N7AMA
WA7JTM
W7RV
WA9STI
W7USA
KG3W
AJ5C
NA6MG
K0LAF
K6TUY
N1EU
WA2USA
AA7DK
NS7P
AE4FZ
KF7MAX
KK7EL
WI2W

K0JQZ Log:

12 Meter CW
CT1BWW
N4EX
KG3W
W4DOW
G3VXJ
VE2JFM
G3RMD
VE1WT
W4MPS
WI2W 

15 Meter CW
WA4AN
AJ5AV
WB0USI
W4MPS 

17 Meter CW
K7NEW
N1EU
W9FHA
K9ZMD
DJ5AV
KB2XX
AA7EQ
VA6FUN
WA6RIC
VA2SG
K6TUY
W7TAO
VE7KBN
WN1E
NM1I 

20 Meter CW
WK0X
AI0Q
W0MNA
KX7L
W0ERI
N3GJ
W7USA
K5WI
K6DGW
K2UFT
W7RV
W3MS
WA6OWM
KF5UVN
W7JET 

A couple of comments, thanks to all that spotted us correctly. Thanks to Marc W4MPS for asking in order to confirm our summit. That let me know that people were listening. Also, Bob, K6TUY, you have visitors from Colorado with you???? I hope Lynn made a good impression.

I intended to edit this video a bit to make it more dramatic but figured you all would not mind seeing what it was actually like for us on the summit. Lynn is working 20 meter SSB and I thought she was done but she got another half a dozen contacts when I started filming. Enjoy.


72
Frank
K0JQZ

No comments:

Post a Comment