Saturday, March 22, 2014

SOTA Activation of Genesee Mountain W0/FR-194, a cold one

Lynn and I went up North and West to drop the fur kids off with the babysitter. Afterwards we decided to activate Genesee Mountain, a first for us. I actually wanted to try another summit a little bit South but the weather looked like it was going to let loose at any minute so this easy 2 pointer came in handy.

It was very cold at the TH (the road to the upper area parking was closed so we parked at the lower lot and hiked up about half a mile). I tried to talk Lynn out of it but she wanted to hike it anyway.

TH Temp
After Lynn was finally able to get all her gear on we headed up the mountain. We just followed the road and it ended a few feet from the summit. I can see why this one has been activated so many times.

Due to the weather we had the summit to ourselves and that was rather nice. I think it may had been a little warmer at altitude but could not tell for sure. It was still cold.

Base of the flag pole on the summit
As soon as I turned the KX3 on I heard W7IMC on another summit and think I was his second QSO, what luck! After Lynn and I worked Scott we moved in freq and Lynn started us on 20 meter SSB.

Lynn working the pileup
Nice summit
Here are Lynn's QSOs.

20 Meter SSB:
W7IMC  Summit to Summit
VA6FUN
W0MNA
W0ERI
KI6EAB
N4MJ
AD5A
NS7P
AE4FZ
K5WI
N4EX
N1EU
N7AMA

After working W7IMC I went to 12 meter then back to 20 for CW. I worked the following stations:


20 Meter SSB:
W7IMC  Summit to Summit

12 Meter CW:
N1EU
KG3W
VE2JFM
NE4TN
N4EX
EA2LU
N7UN
N1FJ
KC2JDU

20 Meter CW:
K7JFD
KX7L
N6KZ
AD5A
WI2W
VE2JCW
W5ODS
N0DA
AA7EQ
W7CNL
W6JP
W0ERI
KH2TJ
K9ZMD
K6EL Summit to Summit
W0MNA
AA5CK
N4MJ
N7WM
ND0C
W7RV

Once we were done we headed back to the Jeep. I never did warm up until we were back on the road. The snow flurries started up and I just wanted to get East and South. It is only 10 to 12 degrees warmer at home but it is good to be warm.

Thanks Chasers, Genesee Mountain is a fun 2 pointer.

72
Frank
K0JQZ

No comments:

Post a Comment