Thursday, July 31, 2014

Lynn's Birthday SOTA Activation

For Lynn's birthday we decided to do Traychte Knob near the KOA in Cripple Creek Colorado. I have never been impressed with this KOA, as far as KOAs go, but it is under new management and I am confident that it will thrive in the future. The great thing about this KOA is a gate that leds to a trail head of  a Horse Trail around Traychte Knob and that I have followed the three times I have activated this summit. After a few hundred feet on the trail it is a bushwack to the top.

We decided to get an early start to beat the afternoon storms that are comng earlier everyday. We ate breakfast on the trail and took a nice break to enjoy the views. While this is not a long hike it does get a little steep in places and total elevation gain is about 800 feet or so.

Cloud Cover

Summit in view
Te hardest part is the boulder field near the summit. There is a false summit that I managed to avoid this time but I think we had to tackle more of the boulder field. Once on the top the views are great and we enjoyed a leisurly activation while checking the clouds building to our East.

Mushrooms everywhere
Lynn worked the folowing stations on 20 meter SSB and many wished her a happy birthday which made her happy:

NU6T
N4MJ
W7RV
K6EL
AE4FZ
W0MNA
K0LAF
NS7P
W7CNL 

KC0YQF, Lynn, working the SSB pileup

I was able to snag Guy, N7UN using callsign NS0TA on W0C/PR-031 while he was running a CW pileup then I moved up in freq clear from him to start our CW portion of this activation. I worked the following stations:

NS0TA Summit to Summit
K6EL
NA6MG
N4MJ
NU6T
VA6FUN
W7RV
W0MNA
W7CNL
W4DOW
W0ERI
WB5BKL
NE4TN
AE5KA
N7CW
AE4FZ
N0OI 
K0LAF
K2JB
KG3W
W4PH 

Unfortunately I had about 20 minutes of video I wanted to use that I was unable to use due to technical issues. In other words I thought I was recording but actually wasn't. At over 10,000 feet in altitude my brain cannot process all the gadgets beeping at me so I am sure I missed a beep and was not recording.

I highly recommend this summit because there is never anyone else on it but that being said someone decided to post their underwear for all to see, for some reason.

Not sure why someone would want to fly their skivvies (someone in the Navy perhaps)


Here is a video of our activation:



73 Frank
K0JQZ

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete