Sunday, July 27, 2014

New Toy

I have been think about getting a new scanner for about a year. I sold my old one as it was not that capable and an absolute nightmare to program. I guess Uniden heard my complains and those of others and introduced the BCD536HP.

It is so simple to start listening. Just enter the date and time along with your zip code and all the local scanner frequencies are populated and you are listening to the first responders. Like everything else these days it is much more capable than my abilities and I have just scratched the surface on its usability.

Read about the Uniden bCD536HP here

Here is a picture of mine in the shack:
the scanner at work
Of course I had to put up a decent antenna and after some research I picked up a radio shack 25Mhz to 1300Mhz wideband antenna. It can also be used to transmit on 2 meters, 70 centimeters and 6 meters but I have a vertical and delta loop for those bands although they are either not up or not working right now but I will get around to them.

antenna on back of deck up around 17 feet
I really like having it turned on while editing videos or doing other things in the shack. I hope to learn how to use it a bit more as I really want to listen to rescues in the mountain and be aware of happenings in my local area.

Since my HF vertical is down at the moment as Lynn and I attempt to landscape our backyard this is really the only working radio, save the Collins R388, I have in the shack at the moment.


73
Frank
K0JQZ

No comments:

Post a Comment