Monday, October 6, 2014

A little Sunday SOTA Chasing

This weekend, after I returned from the Lost Creek Wilderness, Lynn and I took it easy. Both our jobs are getting a little demanding so we needed to care care of a few things around the house.  One of the rules of the Radio Amateur's Code is being "balanced."



The Radio Amateur's Code



CONSIDERATE: He never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen the

pleasure of others.

LOYAL: He offers loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs, local clubs, the IARU Radio Society in his country, through which Amateur Radio in his country is represented nationally and internationally.

PROGRESSIVE: He keeps his station up to date. It is well-built and efficient. His operating practice is above reproach.

FRIENDLY: He operates slowly and patiently when requested; offers friendly advice and counsel to the beginner; kind assistance, cooperation and consideration for the interests of others. These are the marks of the amateur spirit.

BALANCED: Radio is a hobby, never interfering with duties owed to family, job, school or community.

PATRIOTIC: His station and skills are always ready for service to country and community.

adapted from the original Amateur's Code, written by Paul M. Segal, W9EEA, in 1928. 



Instead of dragging Lynn up a mountain I thought that I would do a little chasing on Sunday morning from the comforts of the shack. I was hoping to get a few people on SSB but they were just too weak. I was able to work two activators I have not worked in the past. AE7AP and NN5K. What a thrill. I did a short video of those QSOs.

Here is the video:


I really liked watching the APRS beacon of AE7AP. It is almost like your are there, while watching their trek to the summit unfold real time. I have used APRS beacons in the past and think I will make sure to use it more often (most of the time I forget the 2 meter handheld in the battery charger). I think we, as chasers and I am including myself in this group, get a little too reliant on the SOTA Watch web site and just wait for an activator to pop up. My opinion is if an activator is going to the trouble of using an APRS capable radio it would give a chaser a real advantage to listen on the alerted frequencies and watch the beacon in order to be the first to get him or her.

I just learned how to self spot via APRS beacon on my Kenwood THD72, I plan to use it a lot more in the future.

72
Frank
K0JQZ





4 comments:

  1. Nice video, Frank. I've never done chasing before (due mostly to CC&R antenna restrictions) so it's nice to see what SOTA looks like from the "other side" of a contact. 72, Hoss, N2GDS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Video Frank! I wish that we could have made a contact! I am sure that you were listening for me. Look for me again soon. I am a slow moving but you can't keep me away from SOTA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, it is great news that you are able to get back out in the mountains. Yes, I was looking for you and I could hear the chasers working you but I just could not hear you. I need to work on a better audio recording setup in the shack but I do plan to do some more chasing videos. Glad you enjoy the video. 72, Frank, K0JQZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frank, great video. As someone who is currently learning CW, your video filled in the blanks on communication with CW. I knew the "language" contained lots of acronyms, but never really knew what they actually were, so this video was helpful to see an actual conversation.

    Getting to SOTA chase is a little hard with my KX3 and noise floor of around S9 here in St. Louis City on most days, but someday when I pick one up! It's fun to see the other side of SOTA. I'll just have to settle on climbing the "hills" here in Missouri.

    FYI...I changed my call sign to something less in CW weight and found that my initials were available, so I grabbed them! My old call was KB0RPM. Now it's N0KTK.

    I also started a blog to keep track and write about my amateur radio experiences with SOTA, QRP, digital modes and misc other stuff related to radio. Go check it out!

    http://n0ktk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete