Monday, March 23, 2015

Raspberry Mountain W0C/FR-142

When I got up on the 22nd of Mar I was still not sure what we were going to do. Steve, wG0AT, was not able to join us for a SOTA hike and I was beat from moving river rocks in the backyard. However, the weather looked to be pretty good and the TH to Raspberry Mountain is not that far. I debated between Signal Butte and Raspberry. Raspberry is a harder, longer, up and down path compared to Signal Butte but it is also 6 points and an additional 3 points for the bonus season. I figure it is now or never so off we went.

Raspberry is very popular and I was surprised when we did not see any vehicles at the TH. Save one Jeep that was in a ditch and the tow truck pulling it out. I parked and off we went. As the crow flies you are only 1.58 miles from the summit but with the switchbacks and the way the trail goes around it ends up being 3 miles or 6 miles round trip.

Our Route

6.53 miles, no wonder we were beat


Lynn's Up Band recorded over 10,000 steps. Upon arrival at the summit we enjoyed the views of the backside of Pikes Peak and were joined by a few young people out for a hike. Since the sun was not out and because of a breeze we retreated just below the summit rock out of the wind. I hastily threw the End Fed into the trees and off we went. Here is Lynn's log from 20 meter SSB:

W0MNA
ND0C
W7RV
W0ERI
AE4FZ
AC1Z
AE9F
KG3W
AI0J
W5EXJ
KA5PVB
WA2USA
KX7L
K6TUY
N5WRL
WG0AT 

My Log from 20 Meter CW:

N0EVH
W9FHA
WA2USA
ND0C
W0MNA
N4EX
W0ERI
NK6A
W2NRA
W7RV
AC1Z
W5ODS
NA6MG
KG3W
AE9F
NS7P
VE2JCW
K5WI
K4MF
AA5CO
NE4TN
K6TUY
W6JP
WA9STI
NS3C
WK0X 

I did not take any video of this one and only 3 pictures. Here they are:
Lynn on final ascent
Made It!
Pikes Peak
In retrospect we should have chosen the easier summit and saved Raspberry for a little later in the season but I am glad we did it. Thanks to all the chasers.

72
Frank
K0JQZ

No comments:

Post a Comment