Saturday, June 20, 2015

Cheyenne Mountain 19 June 2015

This is the second time Steve and I have been up this summit this year. It seems like we do it twice a year for some reason and it is a tough one.

This time we had my former boss along, Lt Col Dave "soon to be retired" Farmer, Lynn, KC0YQF, an another co-worker, Capt Mark Muller, USAF.

We met for breakfast and got an early start. There is just no easy way to summit Cheyenne Mountain so we took the direct approach. Steve, wG0AT, expertly navigated his way, with us in tow, to the summit. It took us just over two hours to summit. That is 2 hours, 1.5 miles and about 1800 foot elevation gain. Steep was the word of the day.



Our track is light gray

another view from google earth

Regardless of the steep terrain we made it and was able to 1. activate Cheyenne Mountain for Summits On The Air and 2. fly Dave's retirement flag over the summit and the place where Dave began his operational Air Force Career, CMOC or Cheyenne Mountain Operations Center.

Dave's retirement flag
Folding
Steep hike
Mark goofing off
wG0AT and KC0YQF taking a break
Marker
Lynn, getting naked!
Panoramic view from the true summit of Cheyenne Mountain

Lynn's chasers on 20 meter SSB were as follows:
NE4TN
W7RV
W7CNL
NG6R
N6JZT
AE9F
W4KRN
W0MNA
M0ERI
K0LAF
N8DEA
KG3W

My Chasers on 30 Meter CW:
KG3W
WB5USB
W0MNA
KB7HH
W0ERI
K6TUY
NG6R
K0LAF
NA6MG
W7YAQ
NX1P

I am still learning how to use Garmin Basecamp and Google Earth. I would not exactly call Google Earth "user friendly" but it is much easier than Garmin Basecamp which I call "user brutal."


The bad news is I got very sick after this hike. I am pretty sure I was dehydrated but I was drinking a lot of water. Obviously, not enough! Next time I will try a sports drink of some type. I was sweating very badly and think I just could not replenish the fluids in time. Last night when I was trying to feel better I started thinking that this may be my last SOTA hike and if I keep getting sick like this I will not be doing SOTA activations any more. Hopefully a sports drink and keeping better track of my water intake will help.

72
Frank
K0JQZ



No comments:

Post a Comment