Sunday, October 18, 2015

10090 or W0C/SP-101

This was a last minute plan. Lynn wanted to get out for a hike and she had never been on this summit and I kind of forgot about it. It is in the area we are looking at land and cabins so I figured we would enjoy our Sunday and do this one. It is a short but steep one and it takes a lot more effort than it looks like it would.

It looks like an easy walk up

Looks are deceiving and the last bit is very vertical

The reward is the views
I decided to use the linked dipole again and it performed very well as I have come to expect it would.

Lynn ran through the 20 meter SSB pileup very quickly and after calling for any last callers several times I moved to CW. Here are the stations Lynn worked:


NG6R
N4EX
WA2USA
K4MF
N8BB
K6TUY
N6JZT
K5WLT
VE2JCW
AE9F
KE6YX
WA9FTT
N1GB

Here are the stations I worked on 20 and 30 meter CW:

N6JZT
W4DOW
KX7L
N1EU
WH6LE
N8BB
K6TUY
WB4MNK
NG6R
VE2JFM
NK6A  Summit to Summit

Lynn working through the pileup
K0JQZ on 20 Meter CW

center of linked dipole supported by a fishing pole

one leg of the linked dipole
After CW I went to PSK31 and did not get any takers but it was nice to see that everything worked  without issue.  I am using the beta firmware for the PX3 to allow keyboard entry. It works well! Not pictured (and not on the summit) is a cheap windows based tablet that I can use to update the memories if so desired. I requires nothing more than a cable between the radio and the tablet.

NOTE: I noticed my spot for PSK31 did not go through on the SOTAWatch website. I am not sure why but am positive that is why I did not get anyone calling me.

PX3 with cardboard sunlight shield, KX3 and rollup keyboard

Of note, Steve, wG0AT and I operated in the same spot on the first activation of this summit and his picture of me operating here became what is now my current SOTA QSL card.

Panoramic Shot
I was a perfect day on the summit. The wind and clouds did pick up but we had already enjoyed an hour with no wind and mild temps.

72
Frank
K0JQZ

No comments:

Post a Comment