Monday, October 26, 2015

Midland Hill near Buena Vista Colorado or W0C/SP-117

Midland Hill will always be a special place for me. Not only was I the first to activate it but mostly because it was my first SOTA activation on 6 July 2012.

Lynn and I got a late start for several reasons but had near perfect weather for the hike up and down.




KC0YQF


K0JQZ

Hike Profile

GPS Track


GPS Track on Google Earth

Not much to say Ham Radio wise save that 20 meters seemed to be working very well.  Lynn worked 17 Meters due to the SSB contest going on and she worked the following stations:

WA7SB

N4EX

KX7L

N2JBJ

K6EL

KG6AFA

KW3F

KD2GKO

WA2FON  Summit to Summit

I started out trying to work another Activator on PSK 31 but was unable to pull him out however, I did have a nice run on 20 meter CW:

W0MNA

W0ERI

AE5B

NS7P

N0EVH

W9FHA

W7RV

K4MF

N8BB

VE2JCW

EA2IF

K4YA

W7CNL

NU7Y

W5ODS

NE4TN

WA7SB

KW3F

K0JEM

N6JZT

W6JP

AC1Z

AC7A

K4YND

AA7EQ

W1ZU


I had to forgo the dipole and went with the EF due to space on the summit. The linked dipole is a much better performer but with the bands like they were even an a compromise antenna would have yielded good results.

It was a long drive and we did not get home till almost dark. We were exhausted when we got home.

72 Frank
K0JQZ








2 comments:

  1. Hi Frank,
    Good to see you're still out activating peaks in the late season now. Looks like you had no snow to deal with yet. I was activating Uneva Peak by Vail Pass last Saturday and it was a full-on snow climb! Not sure I'm ready for snow yet. Interesting that you take both your dipole and EFHW antennas. I just completed building my first EFHW and used it on Uneva Pk for my very first CW SOTA activation. It worked great so I will most likely not use my dipole anymore. Man, that RBN CW spotting network works great as well! Say hi to Lynn for me.

    73, Brad
    WA6MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad, yes, e like to get out all year but I will not chance too much snow or altitude in the winter. The EFHW is the way to go for SOTA and is just a good all around antenna. I am glad you built one and are using CW!!! That is fantastic! CW always gets through. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment. It is always appreciated. 73 Brad, Frank

      Delete