Friday, May 27, 2016

KX2 number 81 has arrived in Southern Colorado

I was like a kid at Christmas waiting for the KX2 to arrive. I have been using Steve's KX2 and was familiar with it but was still taken aback when I pulled it out of the box. It is tiny!

I could not wait to use it so today (Friday) I took a day of leave and headed with friend, wG0AT, up Mount Herman for some SOTA fun with both KX2s. Number 6 and 81.

The final ascent (snow covered)


wG0AT checking our movement with a new app

Cold and windy but still great to be out

Starting to see "blue sky" through the trees


K0JQZ on summit getting ready to radiate some RF. (Photo by wG0AT)

I could not stay on the summit long. We had originally planned a pre-dawn hike in order to get some good time lapse video but with the clouds, rain at lower elevations and snow about 8,000 feet we waited. I had to meet Lynn, KC0YQF, for lunch and had to leave Steve on the summit.

The video really tells the whole story so here it is:


If you are like me I was please to hear the introduction of the KX2 made by Eric, WA6HHQ, of Elecraft at the Four Days In May event. In case you missed it here is a link to it.

That was recorded by Ham Radio 360 podcast. They have several hours of interviews from the 2016 Hamvention and many different subjects.

This is a short entry. As always I appreciate those that take the time to read my blog. I know the content is mostly just rambling with no "break through" announcements or discoveries. It just documents my journey in Ham Radio.

72
Frank
K0JQZ





6 comments:

  1. Nice Frank!! I always enjoy reading your blog and really like the look of the KX2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Matt. It is fun to put together. The KX2 is fantastic. I cannot say enough good things about it. The only flaw I have found so far as it does not have a LED light on it like the KX1 to read your log in the dark. I can live with that hi hi. 73, Frank K0JQZ

      Delete
  2. Great video - you obviously put some time into making it. Got my KX2 yesterday and have been getting familiar with it in the CQ WPX contest. What mic are you using in this video?

    John AE5X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, I bet CW WPX is giving the KX2 a good work out. I would be curious to her how that goes. If you search on "Insten VOIP SKYPE Flexible Microphone" you will find several sources for the mic for a few dollars. 73, Frank K0JQZ

      Delete
  3. Wonder if you notice not having the roofing filter in the KX2?
    My KX2 is coming Wed.
    Love the photography. Keep it coming.
    Rick KA8BMA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but it is manageable. I have not experience a big pileup yet but if I was expecting big pile ups over many hours the kx3 would probably be a better choice. Thanks for reading and 73, Frank

      Delete