Sunday, June 5, 2016

Nothing to See Here and 9036 SOTA Activation with video

It has been a busy week for Lynn and I here in the Front Range of Colorado. Lynn is getting ready for a trip back home to see her folks, I am getting ready for a military exercise at work and we are both getting use to the new Elecraft KX2. Not to mention a F-16 landing pretty close to home. Thankfully the pilot got out safe and he landed the plane in a field away from housing developments.

Nothing to see here, just a downed F-16!
This is about as close as we could get to the wreckage. I am not sure if it is still there but I will check on the way to work tomorrow.



K0JQZ testing the mast (photo by WA6MVT)

Our new dipole came in at work (you can see it laying on the deck) and we decided to install a better mast to support the center. In the picture I am testing our installation. Tomorrow we will finish it. I must remember to bring some morse paddles as our MARS station has none.

Lynn wanted to get an activation in before the weekend ended so we decided to try 9036. It is close  to Lake George, Colorado but in the past the road had been closed which made it around 6 miles roundtrip however, the road was open so it was an easy hike.

Below is a photo Lynn took of me running a mild pileup on 20 meters. 40 meters netted me three QSOs and one S2S with Brad, WA6MM on Whaler Peak in the South Park range. Brad is still trudging through snow for activations. It was a thrill to get an unexpected S2S. I did not have good cell phone coverage so I was lucky Brad found me.

My APRS was not working either which I will have to look into. I am sure I just fat fingered a setting or a button got pushed while the radio was in my pack. I apologize to anyone that was trying to follow us on APRS.

K0JQZ on cw (photo by KC0YQF)

Video of the activation:



This is a short entry, 72
Frank
K0JQZ

2 comments:

  1. Hi Frank,
    It was great to get a S2S with you! I was just finishing my brief run just below you on 40M cw. I scanned around looking for other activators and heard you calling. You were really loud!

    73, Brad
    WA6MM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always great to get a S2S Bard. It was great to hear your callsign.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete