Sunday, October 30, 2016

Bald Mountain or W0C/SP-115 (9607 Feet)

This will be a short blog entry: Lynn and I did Bald Mountain (between Buena Vista and Hartsel) a few weekends ago. You can drive up Bald Mountain but we decided to hike up and enjoy the great weather (albeit a bit warm). This was Lynn's first time up this summit so I really wanted her to see the views.

Our GPS Track on Google Earth


Too Map
We went up the East side and looped around to the North for the final approach. We tool the Jeep Trail and did not deviate from it much. This is very popular with the ATV crowd on the weekends.

Our GPS Track

Hike Profile

The views from Bald Mountain are great and there are a few trees for antenna support so it is SOTA friendly.

Looking South East

Looking North East

K0JQZ using the KX2
I took no pictures but luckily Lynn took a few. I noticed I was having a few issues with my paddles but I thought it was just me. On the next summit the paddles shorted so they were unusable. What I did not realize, because I was dead tiered, was that it was an easy fix as the contact post just came loose and were shorting the dot and dash together. I decided to do a SSB activation instead of messing with the paddles. I had fun doing it but I am not very comfortable using SSB. After the first few contacts I was in the groove.

Work has been keeping me busy lately but that will change soon and I should have more time to do some more videos.

73
Frank
K0JQZ

No comments:

Post a Comment