Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy New Year, 1 Jan 2017

New Years Eve was pretty quiet and I enjoyed tracking Al, KH7AL, as he ascended Ormes Peak on 31 Dec 2016 and descended on 1 Jan 2017 GMT time. This means Al decended in the dark. Now, if you do the normal approach, from the West, this is not so much a big deal. However, Al approach Ormes Peak from the East, in fact, he started his hike in Colorado Springs city limits at the Blodgett Open Space.

Here is his APRS track:



This is one monumental hike including a few ups and downs. Here is a Terrain Shot of his APRS track:


My goal, besides talking to Al on VHF and watching his track from the comfort of my home, was to work Al on my Heathkit HW-8 for Straight Key Night. I was not able to hear Al on the 40 year old transceiver but I did hear him on my modern station.

The Heathkit HW-8 and my Dad's (KB4OGI - SK) old straight key

Station K0JQZ along with the modern Elecraft K3




The next day, 1 Jan 2017 Al, Coen and Kiegan (Al's oldest two boys) joined Lynn and I on a hike that ended up being Signal Butte (the TH to the planed Raspberry Mountain had changed and I had not researched the route).

We had a grand but chilly time.


The group headed up

Great views of other summits

Kiegan makes sure Lynn is on track


Lynn on the final push

A steep but short hike

Al and Coen making their way up

Al, KH7AL running the pileup

These two are having a hot meal and are out of the wind (comfy)

Al's first time with a KX2

Here's the proof, Al's log!

Elecraft KX2 is at home on the summit



Lynn had a good run on 40 meters SSB and I am trying to get out of the wind while sending CW


I am cold!!!!

Rare appearance on SSB

Pano view

 It was a good time and this summit was probably a better choice over Raspberry. We will get back to Raspberry and I look forward to trying the new trail.

Tomorrow we will attempt another summit.

73
Frank
K0JQZ

























1 comment:

  1. Nice write up, Frank! I like the new route to Raspberry better than the old one. It may even be shorter? I like it for the fact it's more scenic and interesting with it's up and downs. I took Pam on it for about for the first couple miles to view color this last fall ...she enjoyed it! See you on the summits! 73, Steve

    ReplyDelete